The holidays are a great time to travel! Fun, family, and holiday cheer all combine for a memorable holiday getaway. Check out our top ten holiday travel tips below to help you get started!
1. Don’t procrastinate! This might seem obvious, but millions of other people are thinking just like you and want to travel around for the holidays. It’s important that you stay on top of things like flight changes, hotel reservations, and rental cars to make sure that the holiday rush isn’t affecting your travel plans.
2. Know when to travel. Our experienced travel specialists at Fifth Meridian Travel can help with this! Since this is one of the busiest times of the year, it’s a good idea to travel on off-peak days. This is one of the many ways to avoid long lines, hassle, and stress.
3. Be over-prepared. Not everyone likes to get to the airport hours before their flight (two for domestic, three for international), but at this time of year, you really should. It’s always better to be safe than sorry! Meaning plan for the unexpected. Expect longer security lines than normal, possible delays, and extreme weather conditions. Checking into your flight online beforehand is a great way to stay a step ahead of the game. You want to enjoy your holiday trip, not miss it.
4. Pack smart. As always, try not to over-pack your bags and get charged extra fees. This may be harder to do depending where you’re traveling, but whenever you can, try to wear your heavier clothes and boots so they don’t take up valuable space in your luggage.
5. Many of us do our holiday shopping when we’re holiday traveling, and that means we have to get those gifts back home with us! One way to do this is to ship them back instead of packing them. If it’s something small, then feel free to pack it in your checked bag, but make sure it’s packed well so that it doesn’t break. This is another reason for tip 4, packing smart!
6. Stay connected with travel apps. Most of us have smartphones nowadays, which means we can stay connected with everyone and everything at all times. Downloading travel apps will help your holiday travel go a lot smoother. Check-in on your phone, track weather patterns, get flight updates, and more. Plus, when you book with Fifth Meridian Travel, you get access to our exclusive travel app that has all of your travel documents and itineraries in one place! And you can stay in constant contact with your agent at all times.
7. Entertain yourself at the airport. This goes beyond the obvious of playing Words with Friends on your phone. In case of flight delays, you’re going to want to save your precious battery since all the wall outlets might be taken. Consider bringing along a Kindle to read on, a crossword puzzle to do, or even a deck of cards to play with. Extra snacks can’t hurt either.
8. Get your transportation details in check. If you’re driving yourself to the airport, be sure to reserve a parking spot early. Double check with your neighbor that they know what time they’re driving you so you don’t run late. And confirm with your car rental service as well.
9. Don’t forget the little things. You’ll be so worried about making sure you have your passport, confirmation details, and luggage locks that you might forget something else! Remember your phone chargers, earplugs, travel pillow, hand sanitizer, and any other essentials you’re going to need.
10. Relax and enjoy! This is a time to enjoy your holiday travel, and a chance to create beautiful new memories! Take a deep breath, because it will all work out. You deserve your vacation, so make sure you enjoy every moment of it!